What I'm Reading 28 Nov 2006
Its been a busy few weeks for me and I haven't had as much time to catch up on my reading as I'd have liked. This is the list of things that I have been / trying to read.
Software Development at Microsoft Observed
Microsoft Research paper on developersí typical tools and work habits and their level of satisfaction with them. "The most notable take-away from the data is that developers go to great lengths to create and maintain rich mental models of code and donít rely on external representations."
- Wild[card] thing, You make my CHAR sing
Michael Kaplan shows some unexpected behaviour of wildcards with the LIKE predicate. If you work with multilingual data I'd highly recommend reading this.
Physical Database Storage Design
Microsoft TechNet article on physical storage design for database admins on configuring SQL Server 2005 for optimal I/O performance and space utilization.
What do I need to know about SQL Server database engine I/O?
Bob Dorr of the SQL Escalation Services team has written two whitepapers on the I/O system requirements of SQL Server 2000. There's also an extensive list of links to further articles about SQL Server I/O.
SQL Server Compact Edition under ASP.net and IIS
By default you cannot use SQL Server Compact Edition with ASP.Net / IIS. This page explains the reason for this and the override setting to allow using SQLce with ASP.Net.
SQL Server Hosting Toolkit
If you publish you databases to a ISP / externally hosted SQL Server, this new tool may be very handy.
Its always good to keep up-to-date and revise best practices recommendations from vendors. Here's my current review list:
- Best Practices for Replication Administration
- Replication Security Best Practices
- SQL Server Storage Top 10 Best Practices
- Top SQL Server 2005 Performance Issues for OLTP Applications
- Top 10 SQL Server 2005 Performance Issues for Data Warehouse and Reporting Applications
- Database Mirroring Best Practices and Performance Considerations
- Troubleshooting Performance Problems in SQL Server 2005
- SQL Server 2005 Waits and Queues
- TEMPDB Capacity Planning and Concurrency Considerations for Index Create and Rebuild